Social Media Literacy: Semester Course
Face to Face Online Course in real time, taught by a state certified teacher.
IOE is Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accredited.
- Free online orientation introduces tools of 21st Century online platform to all enrolled students before course begins
- Via online platform, teacher participates in Back to School Night to provide course overview to parents
- Course is integrated into district's bell schedule
- Every lesson is recorded and provided to students as a study artifact
- Online gradebook allows students and parents to track academic progress
- 24 hour tech support included
- Course is accessible anywhere with Internet connectivity: school computer labs, student home, and libraries
This course prepares students for digital citizenship through responsible participation on the Internet using Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 tools. Topics explored will include privacy, digital footprint, copyright and fair use. The ethics and etiquette of communication on social media sites will be addressed. Students will practice social bookmarking, microblogging, blogging (leading a thread), and discussion board posting (following a thread). Students will explore collaborative multimedia tools and learn curation. They will learn how to discriminate among sources of information for academic research at the secondary education level.