Philosophy: Full Year Course
Face to Face Online Course in real time, taught by a state certified teacher.
IOE is Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accredited.
- Free online orientation introduces tools of 21st Century online platform to all enrolled students before course begins
- Via online platform, teacher participates in Back to School Night to provide course overview to parents
- Course is integrated into district's bell schedule
- Every lesson is recorded and provided to students as a study artifact
- Online gradebook allows students and parents to track academic progress
- 24 hour tech support included
- Course is accessible anywhere with Internet connectivity: school computer labs, student home, and libraries
This is a course that encourages students to consider 5 big questions that have been with us throughout time: How do I know what is true? What is the meaning of life? Who am I? Is there more to life than what we see (a higher power, an afterlife)? How should I behave (morals/ethics)? Students will get a quick overview of how some famous philosophers – from East and West – have answered these questions. Then, they will be asked to answer these questions for themselves. Among the Philosophers/Philosophies to be studied in brief are: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Epicureans, Cynicism, Stoicism, Nihilism, Communism, Existentialism, Rene Descartes, David Hume, Lao-Tsu, Siddhartha Gautama, Confucius, Francis Bacon, Mary Wollstonecraft, Ayn Rand, Simone de Beauvoir, Donna Haraway, Emma Goldman, Julia Kristeva, Alison Jaggar, Betty Friedan.