Honors English: Grades 6 7 8: Full Year Course
Face to Face Online Course in real time, taught by a state certified Teacher of English.
IOE is Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accredited.
- Free online orientation introduces tools of 21st Century online platform to all enrolled students before course begins
- Via online platform, teacher participates in Back to School Night to provide course overview to parents
- Course is integrated into district's bell schedule
- Every lesson is recorded and provided to students as a study artifact
- Online gradebook allows students and parents to track academic progress
- 24 hour tech support included
- Course is accessible anywhere with Internet connectivity: school computer labs, student home, and libraries
In this honors level course, students study a range of classic and contemporary literary texts, as they develop an appreciation for great works of literature. They master the language of literary analysis, acquiring a strong understanding of literary and sound terms as they learn to apply these concepts to the analysis of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. Students will study the conventions of literary analysis in order to develop the skills necessary for academic criticism and argument.
Writing is examined as a means of re-searching thoughts, as a way of discovering voice and vision, and as a means of communication, as a way of voicing original ideas and as a way of gathering in the voices of others. Research writing strategies are taught, along with source documentation requirements. Students study both primary and secondary sources of information and proper source integration. The generation of a sound academic argument will ultimately be realized in essay composition and in research writing.