Creative Writing: Grades 10-12: Semester Course
Face to Face Online Course in real time, taught by a state certified Teacher of English.
IOE is Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accredited.
- Free online orientation introduces tools of 21st Century online platform to all enrolled students before course begins
- Via online platform, teacher participates in Back to School Night to provide course overview to parents
- Course is integrated into district's bell schedule
- Every lesson is recorded and provided to students as a study artifact
- Online gradebook allows students and parents to track academic progress
- 24 hour tech support included
- Course is accessible anywhere with Internet connectivity: school computer labs, student home, and libraries
This one-semester elective course offers interested students opportunities to be creators working with the written word. Students study form and structure in great depth so that they have an appreciation for the limitless potential of language. Some works will be based on instructor directed assignments and others will be directed by students’ own creative process. Students add to their existing store of knowledge in writing techniques. They sharpen critical thinking skills to evaluate published texts (poetry, short stories, plays). Literary and sound devices are reviewed so that they have a precise vocabulary for literary criticism. Students are required to write several creative pieces (10) for a final portfolio of creative writing.