College Application Essay: Semester Course
Face to Face Online Course in real time, taught by a state certified Teacher of English.
IOE is Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accredited.
- Free online orientation introduces tools of 21st Century online platform to all enrolled students before course begins
- Via online platform, teacher participates in Back to School Night to provide course overview to parents
- Course is integrated into district's bell schedule
- Every lesson is recorded and provided to students as a study artifact
- Online gradebook allows students and parents to track academic progress
- 24 hour tech support included
- Course is accessible anywhere with Internet connectivity: school computer labs, student home, and libraries
In this course students will be immersed in the practice of writing personal essays. Writing practice will address content, style, artistic statement, central idea, rhetorical strategy as free writing exercises in their journal. Eventually this informal writing will be organized through rhetorical devices into formal essays. Students will study a variety of organizational strategies so that they will have traditional models as foundations for their own experiments in form. Writing will be examined as a means of researching thoughts, as a way of discovering voice and vision, and as a means of communication -- as a way of voicing their ideas and gathering in the voices of others. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of personal essays in response to sample college application essay prompts.